Thursday, January 06, 2005

Moonlighting, A New Project


farrelllive
Originally uploaded by Charrmer.
Moonlighting is something I have been thinking about for a long time, mainly in relation to the live music scene I have been around and photographing for the last couple of years. I think being a performer takes courage, passion and tremendous imagination and skill. But how often do we really consider what their "day job" is?
So as a photographer with a journalist heart I have this quietly rolling around in my head... Can you make a living just playing in the local clubs? Probably not.
I went to Cheap Thrills with a friend a few days ago to find some cool vintage clothes and ran into Mike Farrell of Th Losin' Streaks. Seeing this well known, awesomely talented musician working behind the counter crystallized the entire thing for me. I remember blurting out the word "Moonlighting!" and asked him on the spot if he would be my first subject. He said "Yes!" By that night I had set up the blogazine and already had a list of people I wanted to feature.
The first entry is up! The plan is to photograph subjects at work, during performance and tell a bit of their story. Hopefully I'll be posting about one each week. Comments welcome. http://moonlighters.blogspot.com/

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I doubt a band made up of four musicians could make a living by just playing local clubs. Maybe, if booked, promoted, and budgeted correctly they could all take a month or two off work to suffer a national tour, eating left-over scraps from other bands, sleeping in vehicles and the occasional strangers apartment, sacrificing boozing for gas money. Without the assistance of outside income from a girlfiend, family member, or part time job, it will never happen. At the very least the band would have to perform near sold-out shows every other night regardless the region they are playing; if you find a band like that without a record deal, let me know.

1:38 AM  
Blogger karin said...

wow, cool new blog. I can't wait to read it!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Homeboy's photo is so Spinal Tap.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HURRY HURRY HURRY!
I CANTS WAIT NO MO!@
:)

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search